Thursday, May 10, 2012

CHILDREN

So...remember I said there are 3 different groups of girls on the run? Fast/Steady/Lazy?
I should have said 4...Fast/Steady/Slower/Umm..are you kidding?

We did our practice 5k today around the streets of Santa Fe - 3 coaches took our girls in "waves" like a real race. I placed the girls in the 3 teams which they were not happy about because I separated "friends" on purpose.
I ran with wave 3. Well..if you could call it running. My 5 girls and I started slow and steady and of course there was a jerkingly sudden request to walk. We walked, but as 3 of the girls trucked along with strong strides, two slowed so much I think a worm could pass them. Complaints of their ankle, stomach, head, knee...blahblahblah. I was mean and said "alright do i have to walk you back?" They decided to keep going...but refused to listen to me when I said it was time to run. Downhill. for a block. please. anything. We've trained for this for weeks. but you were too busy in the bathroom, or texting, or not listening. Huh? Oh I understand.

I was one of those mean coaches. It didn't feel great. but my 3 that were actually determined were gonna go nuts if we didn't start running again. I walked between the 2 groups, making sure they didn't leave my sight, as I was responsible for them out in the middle of Santa Fe. They started giving me attitude and I was like...why am I doing this? I threatened there would be no snacks left for us if we didn't pick it up. Then they'd run for like 5 seconds and stop to complain.

While I'm complaining about children, I'm realizing that my 4th & 5th grades are going to be my 5th & 6th grades...supposed to be the most developed musical children in the school. After having fired at me "Yay no more Miss Echols next year" (unknowingly) and "but that's boring!" and "I don't want to have a music class" and "I don't care" and more today...I'm really counting on my relationship with the younger grades to carry me thru...
It drives me nuts that I've approached musical learning from so many angles and have engaged in so many activities for learning simple things like reading notes on the staff and reading rhythm, and they still shout out "C!" when it's like a G or something.

Anyway...7 more days with my middle school hoodlums. 5 more days with my elementary hoodlums, plus A LOT of cleaning, inventory, and responsibilities. Chamber singers concert. Tesuque concert. Rent. Gin & Subtonic gigging. Cleaning my car and room. Still too much to do. Day at a time.

MY CAR BRAKES ARE OUT AGAIN AFTER SPENDING OVER $800 ON THEM IN JANUARY.

No comments:

Post a Comment