Sunday, March 25, 2012

Adrenaline Junkie?



Who'd ever thought?

I would lay money down on the fact that my yesterday was better than your yesterday.

I went back to Tent Rocks. I might be addicted. This time...I almost died.

I got to the top of the mountain, which is mildly challenging but no big deal. Then, some strange possession came over me and I decided to climb down the mountain...the wrong way. Like...over the edge of the cliff. Death wish? No. Longing to prove something? Maybe. Dude fun? Yes. Idiot move? Yes.

I slid down one steep, unstable hill on my butt, getting plenty of scratches on my back, then stepped carefully along the side of the mountain, holding on to rocks that were hardly attached to the mountain. I came to a ridge where I had to kinda make a jump. I was scared as hell. When I got to the lower part i was like "shit it's too late....there's no choice but to go down." Down I inched.

Then, realized, there was no way down to the ground. No way. Hell to the no way. I had to go back up.
Shit. Shit shit shit shit shit. "I don't think I can do it. Helicopters are going to have to come save me."
The earth was unstable. Each step just brought me back down.
I swung my feet into the loose earth so that they'd stick. Each step was grueling on my muscles. I climbed like a spider monkey. (No i don't really know how a spider monkey climbs.) I held onto small plants and walls of earth. I got to that ridge and stood there, scared to death. I can't do it, I thought. I found a rock in the wall that would probably hold me for a split second and that's all I needed. I stepped on it and thrusted myself up onto the next slanted surface, holding onto the dirt for my life. I watched rocks tumble down the mountain and knew that could be me.
I made it to the top after a struggle. Only I couple cuts on my hands, legs, and back. But a huge step for me in bravery, will power, and strength.

Will i do that again? Not likely. Too dangerous. But dude I did it.
And I'm that much closer to Kilimanjaro. Merher.

No comments:

Post a Comment