Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Il bel far niente


I'm finally getting around to reading Elizabeth Gilbert's eat pray love. I'm about 100 pages in & she's still in Italy, where she learns this beautiful phrase...il bel far niente, Italian for "the beauty of doing nothing." It's something the Italians know far better than we ever will.

This morning was important...orientation for new teachers at the school district building. Everyone was very nice and friendly. We filled out forms for insurance and all the policies in the world. We had 30some days to complete some of the forms and get them notarized, but I chose to take them home, call Dad, and make an appointment immediately to get everything done and out of my hands. Woot woot.

The rest of the day was hooping a little and reading. I also made myself a delicious dinner which I'm enjoying right now of chicken, rice, and edamame. Lunch was a fantastically special sandwich. I'm eating well. Just like Liz. So, as Liz is learning in her travel adventure to Italy, I'm learning that you don't have to do anything but breathe and eat sometimes. And laugh. I hung out with Gavin for a short while yesterday and he was obviously practicing some of his comedy improv while we jammed on ukulele and drank tea. Laughing is so important. Cheryl kinda taught me the other day too...that with all life's twists and turns, how can you be expected to be running in circles all the time and be exactly where you're supposed to be? So, I've been appreciating my short time being able to enjoy "the beauty of doing nothing."

I'm not ashamed of spending a day & a half reading and hooping, making myself laugh & letting Liz's wild thoughts on men & travel make me laugh out loud when I'm in the park.

I also found a hiking buddy today, or she found me, at orientation today. She's a 1st grade teacher, not in my school but in the district and has just moved here from Indiana. She asked if I want to go hiking a short trail tomorrow and to Bandelier National Monument on Sunday. Hells yes.

And guess what else - I get to see my classroom tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment