Wednesday, August 31, 2011

No More Miss Sunshine


So things are bad.

On Sunday, my dickhead roommate knocked on my door. I replied "naked!" He said, "Ok I'll wait." I got dressed and knocked on his door. He came out and said to me "This isn't pleasant conversation, but I don't think this roommate thing is working out..."
I quickly said, "Let's sit down and talk about this."
Him: "I'm not really crazy about the vibes we have. It's not fun. You're a nice girl and everything and you've done nothing wrong, but it's not the kind of roommate situation I want to be in, so I think it would be better for both of us if you found new roommates."
Me: "I don't want to move. I love it here. I'm happy here."
Him: "Well I'm not. I want to try something else."
Me: "Well then you move."
Him: "Well I've been here 2 years."
Me: *****Series of sobs, cries, complaints about how I've just started a new life and "you're really cruel" and "you can't just tell someone to get up and go!" and I can't handle moving right now and I have no time or energy********
Him: "Well it's not that hard to find another place or roommates. There's plenty around."
Me: "Well I better start looking. You're really cruel." *I grab my keys, storm out, call people, and go cry in the park for 2 hours.*

I texted my landlord that I don't want to leave. His reply, "I am so sorry Kathleen."

I have til September 30th. Craigslist #1 I really want but I have to wait til Sunday to see if I get it. Craigslist #2 is close to my school, but a little sketchysketch and unfurnished. Craigslist #3 looks beautiful in pictures and I'll see it tomorrow.

Onto the next complaint...


I finally met with the principal at the school where I have the middle school chorus class. Lines were crossed today and I FLIPPED OUT. I was seriously astonished at the behavior and comments I received today. I don't want to copy them here, but not only was I offended, insulted, and irritated, there were offenses that required immediate discipline action. Unbelievable.

Disrespect and inappropriateness is one thing, but it also breaks my heart to be failing at doing what I set out to do...which is make kids love singing. They hate everything. What am I supposed to do? I still wuv them, but c'mon. Sing.

Other complaints: Car insurance/stuff, Bank stuff, lesson plan stuff, evaluation stuff, more stuff.

Happy Time...

I am in love with general music class. I'm really figuring things out at Nava (K-6). I'm learning which steps to take to set up musical and class success before disaster even has a chance. I learn every day. The EAs that come in with special needs kids or just because they're kindergarten have been a blessing. They have a position of control and understanding of each child, they give me suggestions, and help with behavior. I'm astounded and get new ideas from them all the time.
General Music is my safe place...my everything. My kids are so funny. Sometimes when they're bad I just laugh. Like today when I was lecturing a 2nd grade class, I said something along the lines of "I love you all very much but we really need to do better listening blahblah..." and one snotty girl goes "What if we don't want to love you?" Hahahahahaha I said "Well you don't have to love me but if you don't follow directions you can't play the instruments and you get a bad report." Hahaha love it.
This week I put on a jungle-themed "play" with my 1st & 2nd graders with masks, drums, and xylophones, and it was sooo much fun. And imagine little Spanish-speaking Kinders doing the chicken dance. Omg. Love. My older kids are sometimes musicians and sometimes animals. But I wuv them. The daily hugs are worth everything.

My family has been so supportive in my rough time. Daily calls let me know I'm not alone. I feel so much love.

Things could be worse. Andie is being moved to another teaching position, 3 weeks into school. Can you imagine? So sad. Love her.

My new ritual is that on Wednesday evenings I bring all my schoolbooks to McDonald's and I order a small Mango Pineapple smoothie and I sit there for hours typing my lesson plans. (Typing takes longer than planning).

I saw a shirt I recognized and a little boy following behind. It was one of the teachers in my school and her foster child who I had taught earlier today. I love this kid's enthusiasm, though the EA in the class often makes him sit out. I waved in the McDonald's and he ran up to me...

"Hi Miss Echols! What are you doing here? I got this bouncy ball at the college. We're gonna go get ice cream after this. Do you wanna come? Can I go in your car? What are we doing in music next week? Want some of my fries? (puts them on my table) I'm a national wrestler. I don't know when wrestling is again....."
Love. I went to Baskin Robbins with them and my teacher friend treated me. I got less lesson planning done, but what a nice time...to sit with my dear student and colleague and enjoy some free Rocky Road on a sugar cone.

Life can be good even when it's bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment