Monday, August 1, 2011

Chamisa Trial, Chili Sauce, and Chamber Music

Today's blog is brought to you by the digraph: Ch

My date with the mountains this morning was beautiful. I drove up the curvy road to the Chamisa trailhead and set off with my pocket knife hooked to one side of my tank top and my keys on the other. It was exactly what I wanted. An easy trail to explore and start my relationship with the Santa Fe National Forest.

^ my photo for once!

The sky was so blue and the Aspens were so green and the rock was so red. I was really truly alone. Occasionally I would pass a group of elderly people heaving their way up and down the slopes of the trail. I didn't come across any wildlife except for a few chipmunks and butterflies, but I did meet a Doberman Pinscher. She was by herself so I chatted with her a bit and had her walk with me until we found her owner. Maybe she was never lost...she seemed to know this quiet place very well.

"Let us be as simple and well as Nature ourselves,
dispel the clouds which hang over our brows,
and take up a little life into our pores." - Thoreau

I fantasized about what it would be like to be under attack or to slip or something horrible to happen while I was walking, but to live to tell the story. I imagined jumping off the ledge and hanging onto a tree branch, plummeting hundreds of feet to what could be death but some branches slow my fall and I wind up on my feet, face-to-face with a new enemy...you know? like in one of those movies where everyday people become heroes and save themselves and the world? It could happen.

Though I could feel my shortness of breath at an elevation of 8,400 ft, the trail loop was less than 3 miles, like a warm-up, and I was ready for more. I wanted to go find another trail of medium or medium-hard difficulty, so I got in the car and drove. As I drove higher and higher up the curvy road I realized I hadn't thought about lunch and I was hungry. I checked out a few other interesting trailheads where birds cheeped and creeks ran by. I've got the names of some of them, so I can return to fully explore their wondrousness another day.


For lunch I had leftovers from when I got New Mexican food the other night. There's this thing here, where every food service person will ask you "red or green?" The first time this happened I was so confused. What? Red or green? That first time I just said a color..."Red?" Knowing now that that means red or green chili sauce to accompany the burrito or food item of your choosing, this time I ordered both - or "Christmas." The meal came out on a plate, like a big delicious blob of mush. I wasn't sure what was what...but they were both in there...somewhere...Mr. Red and Ms. Green. So today when I ate a bit more...I think I found the green. It was hot. Real hot.

That's Dawn Upshaw. Can you find the Kathleen?

So when I heard that Dawn Upshaw was in town for the Chamber Music Festival, I knew I had to see her again. When I sang John Adams' El Nino at Carnegie Hall with my choir in December 2009, Upshaw was our soprano soloist. She is a glorious vocalist who in rehearsal looks no more than a soccer mom. I was saddened by the prices when I looked online, but thanks to my super awesome roommate Michael who was planning on going as well, he managed to get me a half-price, totally worth-it ticket.

The performance was on two pieces which I've totally written papers on specifically - Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" and Golijov's Ayre. The Schubert string quartet was wonderfully crisp and clean, expressive and gorgeous. The Golijov was unbelievable: electronic sound, accordion, guitar, harp, winds, percussion, Dawn Upshaw expressing the shit out of each word and vocal waterfall.

We knew there was a reception where we got some free food and met some friendly artsy folk. It was truly "event" and though I didn't feel as though I fit in, I enjoyed myself. Wine in my hand, I chatted with artsy workers who run "events" and publicists who told me that I have to keep studying and I have to get into the opera business and everything quickly while I'm young. No pressure, right? It made me panic a little bit. Maybe I'll miss my chance if I teach too long. What? What's going on? Life? There's no time to waste? Help me...

Then...she walked out to the outdoor square where we were receptionizing. I was in the presence of Dawn Upshaw. I immediately starting giggling and jittering. I felt like a loser and I know the publicist people obviously thought it was unattractive, but I really couldn't contain myself. I pulled myself together, got a pen and took out the picture I had printed (the one above...at Carnegie) and approached her, introducing myself as a young soprano. She laughed with the picture and said signed it, telling me maybe one day I'll be in her spot and she'll be in the choir. How funny!!!!!!!!

I got my signature but wanted a picture. I awkwardly stalked her in conversation then as she left said "Dawn? Would you mind a picture?" and she goes "In the dark?" but she smiled anyway.

Not a great picture of me, but a great memory :)

Michael showed me around the plaza, pointing to the nice places to check out. Live music was going on on the plaza and people were dancing, one lady even with her dog.


Good roommate. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment