Friday, August 5, 2011

Teacher Teacher (can you teach me?)


Right on, Matt Damon. It's true. Most teachers want to teach. I want to teach. Sometimes I question whether I know enough, or whether I'm worthy of being called "teacher." I'm thankful that Critical Pedagogy has allowed me to accept that teacher and student are both learners, and that's the cycle we foster.

Yesterday I saw my classroom at Nava Elementary. I can't believe it's mine. It's in a separate portable house thing. I only have one bulletin board to worry about decorating, plus some other things to make it really homey. The rest of the space is window/chalkboard (yes, chalk). I want to go in and clean all the instruments and make a good system. It's a good space, I think. Not huge but not too tiny. There's lots of drums and xylophones. I stood in my classroom and took it all in. My principal is a very nice lady and we seemed to see eye-to-eye on many things. The other teachers I met were friendly, kind, and welcoming. I want to do well.

I met with the choral lady at the high school as well. She was very helpful in answering some of my questions. My head is spinning with all there is to do with starting the year. Not knowing my students: how many, how experienced, how well they read, their range, their personalities, their enthusiasm...I have to admit it's stressing me. Our first fiesta is September 11th and there's a lot of material for 7th graders to learn. In all this, I will try my best!

In the afternoon I went for a short hike on St. John's College Trail with Andie, the 1st grade teacher at another elementary school. She's a great girl - we talked about boys and exercise, and she's on the same fitness level as I am (win!). Bandelier on Sunday.

Today I'm off to Aspen, where I am the chorus director. Chin up, Kathleen!

No comments:

Post a Comment