Friday, September 2, 2011

Take Two


A dark photo - there will be more to come, but this is my new bedroom. Gustav Klimt's Kiss to the right of my sleeping head, a beautiful rug and paintings all around the room. My window has a beautiful view of the mountains in the distance. I have my own bathroom, an extra room for working/yoga/whatever I please, washer/dryer, a gorgeous living room with big couch pillows, buddhas, candles, sculptures, paintings, a cute kitchen with decor just the same, and a back patio that looks like the epitome of peace.

I knocked on the door last night and a woman in her 50s with long beautiful black hair and a black dress answered. I knew I liked her. She showed me the amazing house and I knew that I wanted to live there, but I had anxiety because I couldn't remember the rent amount that was posted on Craigslist. Alicia and I sat and talked about music, astrology, and being roommates. She said she'd call by "tomorrow," but that very night she called and said, "From the minute I opened the door I knew you were an angel. I'd like to offer you the space." So I took it.

It's quite a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but Dad said he'd help me because he's wonderful. If she calls me back, I'm moving today! I will have to be very clean and tidy...but that's a good practice for me...haha...

School is still tough, but again, I learn every day. Even the most experienced, certified, recognized, incredible teachers will have hard classes...and the 6th grade gossip of romantic drama doesn't help anything. I'm a softee, it's a fact, but I must work to be a proactive disciplinarian for when it is necessary. I'm finally understanding what they were telling me in college...teaching is about social responsibility.

Still, I get many hugs every day. I crack up when I walk down the hallway and every kid on their way to wherever has to stop and hug me. I love the "Hi Miss Sunshine!" I get as kids run past when I have recess duty. I love the glow in their eyes when I tell a kid "awesome drumming!" I love their little tails when my widdle ones do the Chicken Dance. I love when a 4th grader tells me "You're so much more fun than our last music teacher!"

So, I take it a day at a time. Set up the skills needed for ensemble. Remove the children who can't control themselves. Hike with Andie and look forward to events like Zozobra and the balloon festival. Move. Ya know...life.

I am so lucky to have such a supportive wonderful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment