Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Chicago

When I finally got into downtown Chicago without dying (traffic was a bit much for me), I realized I had done no research on the city. I paid too much for parking and walked 2 miles to Millennium Park and hooped all around with the big blob mirror thing and stuff. While I was setting up a shot, a long-haired young man came up to me and interrupted. In my annoyance with how much I just walked carrying a heavy tripod and hoop, I replied in an snappy voice, "I'm recording!" He apologized and continued saying that he was an artist and he was having a rooftop party "next Friday night" for lots of local artists and he asked if I would come and share my art. (my hooping/video). While of course I could not, I was really flattered that he called what I was doing "art." I like it.

Milwaukee

The only reason I turned to go to Milwaukee instead of just driving on thru Madison was because remember Rugrats? Angelica says, "She moved to Milwaukee. Everybody walks there."

I again found parking and then decided to find a local to tell me where to hoop. I walked annoyed and hot again. Found a guy that looked of respectability and asked him "What's something that's very Milwaukee?" He replied, "Getting drunk." Thanks but no thanks.

I hooped with a statue of the Fonz from Happy Days.

Madison

Is it weird? I knew that Madison was a young hipster town, but omg was it. Is it weird that I'm intimidated by young hipster kids? I walked thru the cute streets and the college town, down to a lake/river/inlet/something where tonnns of hipsters (I mean...the neon sunglasses, the short-shorts, the we're so cool personality) were partying it up. I hooped real quick, and while a girl walked by and said "good job" with a really nice smile, and a boy said "you look beautiful," I still felt like I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Like in high school when I thought I wasn't cool enough for anybody. Then as I was walking back to the car, I saw two buskers. One young man with a guitar and a nice voice, and one guy bucket/rock drumming. You better believe I hooped with them.

I stayed in a hotel in Eau Claire, Wisconsin where I cried about my life.
The next morning I took advantage of their beautiful outdoor swimming pool for a good workout.

Minnesota

I wasn't happy with my trip. The lack of planning (which is usually how I like to travel) was making me feel like I wasn't traveling "right." I kept trying to remember that it's about the journey, not the monuments or museums you see, or time you spent in a particular place.
Something magical made me feel better.

I stopped in Woodbury, Minnesota because of the namesake (I'm from Woodbury Heights, NJ) and decided to have a full lunch to feel better at the Potbelly which is delicious. I sat inside because there was a handsome young man singing and playing guitar and harmonica. He sang with soul and feeling, mostly with his eyes closed. I was moved by his "coffeeshop" performance. I clapped alone after each song, gently harmonized with him, and gave him a dollar after. He smiled at me as he packed up and said, "Thank you. I really appreciate you clapping along."

Because of this 9-minute human being interaction, my trip is perfect. Not because I visited this many cities or historical markers, but because two lives were changed in the support of the arts and the soul. I cried on my walk out to the car. This is it. This is life. There's no right answer.

I didn't care about St. Louis and Minneapolis. Same cathedral different city. Hoop and begone.

No comments:

Post a Comment