Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Kentucky, Indiana with Andie, Michigan, Deidre

After waking up 4 lousy hours later in my car, I kept driving. The rest of the drive in West Virginia and then Kentucky was thrilling. Rolling hills and beautiful sky. Beautiful grass and castles and great neighborhoods.

I hooped in Lexington where I found that humans aren't that bad. A woman left her place in line at Starbucks to come open the door for me (I was carrying my hoop and tripod/camera). I scooped down to Lincoln's birthplace and peed outside because right before I entered the little bathroom cabin, I saw a lizard crawl inside. I hooped in the little house that was supposedly still made of logs from the Lincoln's neighbors and then I hooped by the creek that Lincoln almost drowned in as a little boy. Is it true Lincoln is so strongly affiliated with Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois? Boy moved around.

I drove north thru Louisville, which was cute but I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Hooped with the giant Louisville Slugger and some Michaelangelo's David remake.
Drove into Indiana and made it to Andie's dog-sitting house before dark. The 5 dogs were ridiculously neurotic and barked at anything that happened. Andie does well with them though. We went to her high school/church's festival and ate pizza and drank beer with some of her friends and parents. While things aren't the same with her and I pretty much cried myself to sleep - it's just nice to see that she's alive and well. Maybe someday it'll be okay. I liked that there were still pictures of us in her house. The next morning she took me to the Indy 500 track to hoop and we went to breakfast with her parents.

I drove north again. Up to St. Joseph, Michigan. Beautiful views. I was trying to rest my voice so I wasn't talking or singing. Then I turned to my first sight of Lake Michigan and my mouth just dropped and said "damn." Pretty parks pretty town.

I drove west. Made it to Deidre's in the dark. We laughed, caught up, and she made me delicious dinner. It's amazing how she knows me. And it's always without judgment or holding back. She's one of those. Amazing women of the world. It's cool to have friends all over the country and world.

No comments:

Post a Comment