Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Maryland and West Virginia Take 2

While I already have these two states under my belt, or my hoop, I wanted to get even better shots.

I started out the trip "behind schedule," (a recurring theme has been that I'm behind schedule, though there is no schedule) because I let myself sleep late, which is because I was out having fun with Lexie and Gabe.
Dad and Anna made me breakfast and packed me lunch and I cried as I got back on the rainy road.
The sky cleared up right about the time I saw a "Washington National Monument" sign, and D.C. was much behind me. Somehow it called me and I wound up hiking some of the Appalachian Trail in my Nike sporty flip-flops and black cotton dress. It felt so good that I had worked for one of my hooping shots. Made the day so special.

My goal was to make it to Kentucky that day and get a hotel, but that didn't happen (deviating from the non-plan again).

It was getting dark as I got to Charleston, West Virginia. I decided to stop at The Empty Glass, a bar with a reputation, for a drink before I found a hotel. It was a little sketchy but the bouncer made me feel alright, saying he'll walk me to my car later and make sure everything's okay.

I had one drink and talked to the bartender who broke the ice by shining some sort of flashy light in my eyes. He poured me a 2nd drink as I shook my hands in the air and said "no!" but it was bought by an obese gentleman to my left. I guess that was his breaking the ice. We discussed Cake Boss. It took a while for him to get the hint...I had a long talk with a lady named April, 41, who's on her 3rd husband and leaves his old butt at home while she goes to The Empty Glass, the best bar in town. She told me once she went out in a blonde wig and bright green dress and named herself Loretta. "Loretta had a lot of fun." Bartender Terry's babymama girlfriend showed up later and complimented me by saying I look 23 but hold myself 27. Nice.

Bouncer man walked me to my car. When I asked what his story was, he said he had none. When I demanded that he tell me or I would not leave, he said he works out and trains people, and he likes to see that everybody's alright.

Then I drove to a hotel parking lot and slept in the back of my car. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment