Friday, July 29, 2011

Colleagues


Last night I got a phone call from Joel, the band teacher I stayed with the other night, and he asked me if I'd like to go to a jazz concert in Albuquerque. In that I have zero plans until next Wednesday, there was no question that my answer was "yes." He and Steve, another band teacher in our district, picked me up and we drove the beautiful scenic highway to Albuquerque.

If you ever want to hear some unbelievable jazz sounds, look up Christian McBride & Inside Straight. Each musician was so talented and just so so good. The sounds rushed over me like a wave. If I tried to sit still, the ocean of sound would rock me in a whirling motion. The pacing of the whole show was amazing. Their personalities were so funny and made the show such a good time. I have no idea how jazz musicians do it.

After the concert the three of us went for a beer and a walk. They told me the secret code (wiggling fingers in front of your nose) for when we need to stop talking about work, which was a challenge because music and working for the same district is what we have in common. We found a field belonging to U of NM and did some cartwheels and ran thru the sprinklers. Ya know...a Thursday night. I had a real good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment