Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day Five: St. Louis Part Dos


The other night I wound up crashing with some happy-go-lucky Couchsurfers
- Daniel, Stephen, Cat, and Kelsey.
I planned to head out in the morning as I did my touring of the city, but they practically begged me to stay "at least one more night" with promises of music, fun, and unicorns.

So I stayed, especially with Aunt Lesley's advice to "smell the roses."

In another situation, this would have been a great choice. How great to spontaneously stay in such a beautiful city another 24 hours!

BUT it was the wrong choice and I am unhappy with my decision. I spent the day with a girl who describes herself as "hipster" and is traveling to travel and write. Nice girl, I just wasn't crazy about our day. Though she didn't want to spend any money on the museums I was itching to hit up, she was fine with buying ridiculous T-shirts from almost every thrift store in St. Louis. Why we were spending our time in Salvation Army, I don't know. But we were, and hours later, I was exhausted from driving and again...the heat. I got 4 books and a nightgown all for $4.99 though.


Later I was near tears. Bored and exhausted and feeling sick. We hit up Food Truck Friday with Daniel where taco trucks lined up to feed thousands of folk in long ridiculous lines. I got a crepe from the 10-minute line while everyone waited in a 45-minute line for fish/weird tacos. I know I'm moving to Santa Fe, but I still don't think I'll ever be a taco/Mexican food person.

We got A-list custard at Ted Drewes' and went back to Daniel's with at least 10 other people who refused eye contact with me for a while and were quite content with their connections of kickball and CS.

The party went until 3 am, in which I suppressed my frustration by attempting to hula hoop and play the ukulele at the same time.

As it got later, a stupid stupid boy kept touching me. At first I'd joke and say "no more hands," and then it turned into more of a "NO MORE HANDS" plus storming away.

Aghhh though St. Louis is one of my favorite cities I have ever been in my life, I am severely disappointed in my 2nd day and I couldn't be more thrilled to get out of here.

Onto Springfield...

No comments:

Post a Comment