Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day Nine: Amarillo, TX


Now today is more like it!

I slept as long as my body wanted, then got up to get breakfast at Big Texan Steak Ranch: Home of the Free 72 oz. Steak. No, I didn't try the challenge. I had enough trouble finishing my 6 oz. steak and eggs. It was some goooood Texas cookin'. (My actual breakfast photo below).


I arrived at the ginormous place and took the hooping opportunity while real cowboys cackled and gave me thumbs up. It was BEAUTIFUL inside. The head cowboy-host-man with a handlebar mustache made a buffalo head talk to me when I walked in which made me giggle. They sat me in an adorable booth and I was in awe of the decor. It was near empty for breakfast, but I imagine it to be hip-hoppin' for dinner. Long tables covered in cow print table cloths, deer and bull heads, waitresses in cowgirl gear, curtains, spinning wheels, a balcony section, 60:00 counters for when people take on the challenge.

The Challenge: Eat a 72 oz. sirloin, a baked potato, salad, dinner roll, and shrimp cocktail all under an hour. I learned that the champion hot dog eater man recently completed the task in 8 minutes and 52 seconds (barf!) and the oldest to complete it was a 69 year old grandmother and the youngest was an 11 year old boy.

The cowboy-host-man-with-the-handlebar-mustache asked me to sign his book. He said "You're a special customer. I appreciate you, and put somethin' in there about bein' from New Jersey...and your hoopin'." I also talked with a young truck driver dining by himself as well about how there's nothing to see on the road from here on West. Still, the road is calling me, or maybe it's the sunshine. I'm ready for hours sunshine and smelly cows.

I found a stretch of Route 66 that actually impressed me. It's funny that what I want to see is old run-down motels and gas stations, busy saloons, and broken traffic lights. It made me feel alive somehow.

In more recent news...I'M IN NEW MEXICO!

No comments:

Post a Comment