Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day Six: Missouri



I'm stopped at a Panera instead of a McDonald's for a nice change. A fun fact I learned was that Panera was originally St. Louis Bread Company, but when they branched out they changed the name. Who knew?

My first stop on the road down 44W was Meramac Caverns. The way billboards raved about it, you'd think it was Disneyland. What I was psyched for was the zip-lining, but I wound up not zip-lining because there was a 70 minute wait, and that was of just people that had finished the paperwork...so, I decided that with the heat and the itch to drive far today, I was not waiting for 2 hours for a short zip-line course. Another opportunity will arise.

I was able to take the tour of the caverns. These caves have a lot of history. Apparently where we were was the official hideout of Jesse James and was part of an Underground Railroad system.


The whole time I was thinking about being with my friends in Budapest when we went spelunking. In Budapest, I was working very hard to keep up with everyone, climbing the slippery paths and using every bit of upper-body strength I had to pull myself up to the next ledge. It was a feat of fear and physical strength, and overall it was a kick-ass time.

Today, I spent the hour and a half singing in my head "this is boring, this is boring boring boring..." It was pretty awful. A HUGE group of people: old women who scolded me for wearing a tanktop in the cold underground, douchebag Dads with beer bellies who yelled at their kids and made rude comments to the douchebag tour guides. We'd walk 30 feet then stop and wait until they said something uninteresting for two minutes, then we'd walk another 50 feet and wait. Waiting waiting waiting. It was a real trial of patience. The stalactites and stalagmites were pretty impressive but I was so turned off by symmetrically placed electric lights and handrails that lined the place like a museum. Half-way in I realized that I hadn't eaten anything yet for the day and I was starving. It was a long hour and a half.

Another not-so-successful story, but I keep reminding myself that I'm 21 years old, I'm in Missouri, and life is beautiful.

It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment