Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day Nine: Santa Fe, NM

This is where I live. This is where I live.

I made it! It wasn't easy but it wasn't too hard. I drove across the country from my old home to my new home. I drove by my new home, but I'm not allowed to move in until tomorrow. So I'll be staying with another Couchsurfer/music teacher in my district. Yeah, same person. Whoa.

I needed to kill some time before my host could host, so when I saw a nail salon, I thought "hmm...it must be fate." Anna talked about getting me a manicure/pedicure before I moved away, but I was working so much that I never got to go. So I took out some of the cash she had given me in a going-away card, and I made my fingernails shiny and French. The first thing I do in Santa Fe...a manicure? Seriously? No shame. They're pretty.

My manicurist was an asian man named Antonio who once lived in New Jersey and knew the difference. His warnings included that people here drink more than they work and kids get high while they drive, and also that pizza is just not the same here. :(

I didn't know what to do next so I drove around the mall in circles like a looney tune and eventually stopped in this Applebee's for dessert and free Wi-Fi. The girl who delivered my Triple Chocolate Meltdown with 2 spoons and said, "I brought 2 spoons incase you wanted to share this with...anybody..." Womp womp. Yup, I'm a lone ranger. With allll the chocolate to myself.

The ride into Santa Fe was beautiful but was not what I'd call a laid-back drive. The roads twisted and turned up and down and around the mountains of rock and dark clouds teased me with their ambiguity. I felt like I was on one of those car commercials where the husband and wife are fighting over who could be "in the zone." I wasn't in the zone...I was more like spastic...but I'm glad I took that road into town instead of the main highway. Always up for a little adventure.

I can't wait to move in to MY HOUSE tomorrow. It's in a little development called Las Acequias and the houses are just so cute and there's a playground around the corner.

Final map celebration:


Coming soon to a Triathlon Training blog near you:
*Hoop Across America Video: Part I*

No comments:

Post a Comment