Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day Four: St. Louis, MO


I don't like that I can't adorn my blog with photography of my own, but unfortunately I haven't been blessed with photographic skill and/or a reliable camera-computer hook-up. I have awesome pictures stored on my little Kodak EasyShare, which should be called a Kodak Not-easytoShare. I'll need to just take pictures on my video camera because my Mac refuses to recognize the files. Boo.

I love St. Louis.

After a little hooping with some interesting sculptures in Citygarden, I walked up to the Riverfront to see and go up The Arch - The Gateway to the West.

The museum was about Westward Expansion and I made friends with some California women in the tiny tramcar to the top of the arch. It wasn't life-changing, but it was really fun to see the city from so high in the sky. AND I played with a baby on the tramcar downward :D


It was hot but there was so much I wanted to see. I jumped in the car to find the Scott Joplin House and took a tour of his actual residence from 1900-1903. It was crazy to see his kitchen, his bedroom, the desk where he would write his music. The tour guide gave me a demonstration of one of his pieces on the player-piano. On the way out I met an adorable Aussie couple, whose female part was a music teacher in Hong Kong. Whoa!

I went to the Third Degree Glass Factory where supposedly I could see glass-workers at work. No dice. I saw the gallery which was beautiful and impressive, and with Zero 7 playing softly in the background, I definitely felt...cultured.

I went back downtown, but missed my turn and wound up taking an accidental drive down Great River Road which was beautiful enough.


Then I hit up the Wax Museum where I met some friends both dead and alive...everyone from President Nixon to Barbara Streisand to Yoda. There was a horror room which I had to talk myself into. I went half-way in and ran back to safety. That part was hard to do alone.

I took a walk and decided to eat/drink at "Joey B's on the Landing." It hit the spot.

Now I'm in my 5th McDonald's of my roadtrip having a diet soda and using the free Wi-Fi. Now I wait to see if my night will be on the town or on the couch. Stay classy, St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment