Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day Two Part Two: Columbus, Ohio


The CouchHouse was easy to find and with signs pointing to "German Village," I already liked Columbus. Taylor and Paul welcomed me to their home with couch choices and AC, which was much-needed. Paul even helped me move/hide all my valuables so that they wouldn't be stolen from my car.

I went for a walk by myself in search of that German Village and somehow missed it while talking on the phone with Aunt Lesley. I just said "oops" and kept walking all the way down to the river. My flipflops killed the soles of my feet and the heat was exhausting. I sat on a bench swing by the river and watched children play in a fountain.

When I thought I was going to die of heat stroke, I stopped in a little place to eat and drink. The neon sign that had an arrow to its door made me expect a diner atmosphere, but I walked into Little Palace to a classy bar and restaurant setting, women in elegant attire, men in ties, and a beautiful bartender with tattoos as sleeves. I had an amazing Amber Ale and a vegetarian stromboli that was to die for. I didn't want to leave.

I began walking back and made some phone calls. Paul (couchsurfing man) called and picked me up in his little blue car for a tour. We drove through German Village which was adorable in every way with brick pavement and cheesy street names. We went back down to the river to see an exact replica of Christopher Columbus's Santa Maria and I heard stories of shananigans that went down on that boat. Then we got some crazy unique ice cream and Paul made me sample almost every one before I picked. Paul was a real, relatable and intelligent guy and I laughed until my stomach hurt once again.

The night was finished on another comfortable futon.

No comments:

Post a Comment